Raw, Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Brownies With Peanut Butter Topping
Who doesn’t love a super satisfying dessert that’s gluten-free and has no artificial ingredients or yucky, refined sweeteners? Substitute raw almond butter for the peanuts and you’ve got irresistible raw, paleo brownies.
These are one of my favorites and its worth all the steps, trust me…
- 2 1/2 C pitted dates
- 1 1/2 C raw nuts (I use half cashews with half walnuts or half brazil nuts, but any combo or just one type will also work)
- 6 Tbs. raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp. water
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Peanut Butter Topping:
- ~1/2 C chunky, salted, natural peanut butter
- ~ 1-2 Tbsp. maca powder
- 2 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 1/4 C raw cacao powder
- 1-2 Tbsp. honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla (optional)
- Prepare an 8 x 8″ pan by lining it with plastic wrap or parchment paper, all the way up the sides.
- Place all brownie ingredients in a food processor and blend until it becomes a smooth paste. (It will take a little while, don’t stop until it begins to ball together inside the machine).
- Dump the paste into the prepared pan.
- Using wet hands, press the mixture out evenly.
Peanut Butter Topping
- Stir the peanut butter together with enough maca powder to make it a little stiff. You basically just want it to dry out a touch and not be too runny.
- Spread the topping over the brownies evenly.
Note: I never actually measure these, I just eyeball about as much peanut butter as I think I’ll need then stir it together in a bowl with enough maca to thicken it up. Add more or less, depending on how peanut buttery you like it!
Note #2: To keep this recipe completely raw and paleo, use raw almond butter instead.
Place the pan in the freezer as you work up the frosting…
- Melt together the coconut oil, honey, vanilla and cacao powder.
- Pour and spread the frosting over the peanut butter layer.
To Finish Up
- Let the whole thing set in the fridge for an hour or two.
- Then, lift out the whole block using the plastic or parchment lining.
- Cut into 16 squares and keep in the fridge. (And hide a couple for yourself, because they will disappear quickly!)
Pingback: Raw, Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Brownies With Peanut Butter Topping | FitHealthySoul
WOW, Paisley – delicious!!! I made a batch this afternoon to take to a dinner party tomorrow night. I just taste-tested… it’s going to take some big-time will power to save them for tomorrow eve! Thank You!!!